The College of New Jersey Logo

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

Learning Disability Evaluation

Learning Disability Evaluation Information

Colleges are not required to provide evaluations for students with disabilities.

Colleges are required to provide reasonable accommodations once a student provides appropriate disability documentation.

Disability Support Services (DSS) is available to process college accommodations for persons with documented disabilities.

To pursue an evaluation to determine a Learning Disability and to generate supporting documentation, consult  your insurance provider for an evaluation from a psychologist or a learning disability testing specialist (LDTC) for “college academic difficulties”.

Your family physician may be able to give you the names of people or agencies that provide evaluations and a referral, if required.

Your local high school counseling department or your county’s community college (the counseling or academic advisement office) may have for a list of providers.

Review the DSS documentation guidelines at to assist you in guiding your evaluator on the documentation required for college accommodations.

If during the evaluation, there is any indication that college level foreign language will be a challenge, have the provider specifically verify the challenge and write a recommendation for course substitution.

If an evaluation determines you  have a learning disability, have a hard copy of the complete report, including testing results, on professional letterhead , sent to:

Disability Support Services

130 Roscoe West

PO Box 7718

Ewing NJ 08628-0718

Phone 609 771 3199             Fax 609 637 5121

Once it is confirmed that your papers are in place call 609 771 3199 or stop by 130 Roscoe West to schedule an appointment to review and determine your college disability accommodations.

Be advised, the evaluation process can take a month or longer. Disability accommodations are not retroactive but begin once you have provided acceptable documentation and processed your accommodation request by meeting with the DSS Administrator.


Suggested Supports for Academic Difficulties

While Seeking an Evaluation for a Learning Disability


Communicate directly with your advisor, your faculty, and any academic counselors about your academic challenges as soon as possible.   Review your status in the course and any individual adjustments you can review together that may assist with completing the course.


Be aware of the option of requesting an Incomplete for a course if you have been attending class and making every effort toward the coursework.  Incompletes must be approved by each individual faculty member on a case by case basis. Incompletes work best for classes including independent work and projects but may not work for classes requiring group work, in class presentations, or numerous exam or quizzes.


Tutoring Services is available for most academic subjects, Phone: 609-771-3325 Email: .


Your faculty and/or advisor can refer you to the Center for Academic Success (CAS)for study skills and time management support.  Phone: 609-771-3452- Email:


Psychological Counseling Services – Eickhoff  Hall Room 107- 609-771-2247 – is available for counseling .  Be sure to let the counselor know you have already consulted the Office of Differing Abilities Services and have been directed on how to receive an evaluation.


Consider your course load to see if any adjustment is possible. If necessary, consider a course withdrawal  to reduce your course load or protect your GPA.   Be aware of the impact of course reduction on degree completion, scholarship, medical coverage, etc.  Verify with Records and Registration the last day to withdraw from a course for the current semester.


Make sure your faculty and advisors are aware of the steps you are taking so they can have a clear understanding of the evaluation process, your efforts toward addressing your learning challenges, and your efforts to register with ODAS for disability accommodations.


Accessibility Resource Center (ARC)
Roscoe West Hall, Suite 202
The College of New Jersey
P.O. Box 7718
2000 Pennington Rd.
Ewing, NJ 08628


609.637.5082 FAX

Office Directory

New Students Starting in Fall 2024 -- register AFTER JUNE 1
Skip to content