The College of New Jersey Logo

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu


Parents’ Guide to Transitioning:

  1. If your student had accommodations in high school, you may want to work with the high school teachers and staff to learn the transition process and how services may be different in college.
  2. Make sure all appropriate testing has been completed and that your student’s disability is well documented.
  3. Contact your student’s high school and learn how to request assistance on entrance exams, such as the ACT or SAT.
  4. Observe the admissions process of several schools, and request information on how students with disabilities apply or what accommodations may be offered.
  5. For additional assistance with finance or support, have your student referred to DVRS (Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services) to see if they qualify.
  6. Encourage your child to become self-sufficient and learn to advocate for themselves. This requires learning more about their disability and the accommodations they will need to succeed at TCNJ.
  7. Most importantly, the student must remember that it is his/her job to contact the Accessibility Resource Center and register in order to receive our assistance. (Also, please keep in mind that it is not necessarily true that the accommodations your student received in high school will be the same ones granted in college.)


Accessibility Resource Center (ARC)
Roscoe West Hall, Suite 202
The College of New Jersey
P.O. Box 7718
2000 Pennington Rd.
Ewing, NJ 08628


609.637.5082 FAX

Office Directory

New Students Starting in Fall 2024 -- register AFTER JUNE 1
Skip to content