The College of New Jersey

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

General Information

Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) provides support services to TCNJ students who have identified themselves as having disabilities. For those with physical challenges, the office provides assistance with accommodations for your residence hall room or academic classroom. For those who have a documented learning disability, we provide support services relative to academic achievement.

In order to be eligible to receive these services, you must provide ARC with written documentation of your disability (preferably taken either during your high school years or within the last three years.) Documentation from individuals with identified learning disabilities can be provided by a certified learning specialist or educational evaluation by the school district. Others with physical, psychological*, or attentional challenges may provide documentation from your physicians, psychologists, neurologists, licensed counselors/therapists, etc.  We recommend that you start the process early so that you have accommodations in place by September 15th for the Fall semester, Feb. 18th for the Spring semester.  The steps are laid out here.

Please note that the Accessibility Resource Center highly regards the confidentiality of your records and all documents will be securely filed with ARC.

Services Available

Deaf/Hard of Hearing

  • Identifies/obtains ASL interpreters and C Print transcriptionists
  • Assists in identifying note-takers
  • Addresses communication and safety concerns

Blind/Visually Impaired

  • Arranges for alternative testing accommodations
  • Advises about adaptive technology equipment
  • Addresses mobility concerns
  • Assists in obtaining taped textbooks, note-takers

Mobility Impaired

  • Resolves problems of physical inaccessibility
  • Initiates adaptations to residence hall rooms/classrooms

Learning/Attentional/Psychological Disability *

  • Requests extended time on exams/assignments
  • Assists in obtaining taped textbooks, note-taker
  • Acts as liaison to applicable support services

It is your responsibility to contact ARC to arrange an appointment with a ARC Administrator. This discussion will enable you to best utilize the office and its services and to help assure a smoother transition into the college environment. For very specific accommodation needs that may be time -sensitive, it is important to contact the office as soon as possible (e.g. sign language interpreters, major residence hall adjustments, etc.).

* Mental Health Services (MHS) is a resource for students seeking help with mental health issues. Brief individual counseling is available to all students, along with topical counseling groups and workshops. Contact MHS in Eickhoff Hall 107, call them at 609-771-2247, or email them at

For more information, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.

Affiliate now -- before September 15th.